Earning a Bachelor of Arts degree requires:
- Two of the three sequenced survey courses (World Literature I & II; Literature of the Unites States I & II; British Literature I & II)… OR
Study in a Genre and two courses from one sequence plus one course from a second sequence (12 semester hours)
- Two courses from Studies in British Lit. before 1700, Studies in British Lit. after 1700, Studies in American Literature, Studies in Contemporary Literature
- One course from Studies in International Lit., Ethnic Studies, or Gender Studies
- One course from Shakespeare or Major Author
- One course from Advanced Writing or Creative Writing
- One course from History of the English Language, Children’s Literature, Systems of Grammar and Senior Seminar (33 semester hours)
The English Minor provides students from other academic departments the ability to acquire the humanistic and analytical skills of the traditional English major and apply them to their chosen field of study.
The Writing Minor teaches the theories and practice of writing across professional genres. Students learn the effective use of rhetoric to adapt their work to specific contexts and audiences and master the design of traditional, digital, and multimodal texts. They will be prepared to meet the shortage of good writers in many fields such as the arts, business, government, education, science, technology, and publishing.
Writing Minor Requirements
- Advanced Writing, Professional Writing, Writing and Rhetoric, The Writing Portfolio
- One course from Multimedia Writing or Writing for New Media
- One course from Journalism, Business Communication or Creative Writing (18 semester hours)
The Journalism Minor introduces students to reporting, writing, and editing for publication or broadcast. Students practice editorial, investigative, feature, sports, and travel writing, and learn the intricacies of copy layout. The minor is connected to the college’s student newspaper, The Decree, which offers students opportunities to contribute to the publication.
Journalism Minor Requirements
Journalism, Editorial Techniques, Advanced Writing, Advanced Journalism and six semester hours of 300-400 level English courses (18 semester hours)